Friday, March 09, 2007

Web Design

Over the last couple of weeks or so, I've been busy designing a website for my friend Michele. She took a cake baking/decorating course a while ago and has been making cakes for people as a hobby/side job.

She does a really nice job and the cakes look better in person than in pictures. Have a look at the site and let me know what you think of it:

http://www.sweetnuniquecakes.com

It was a good learning experience for me. I've definitely enhanced my html programming skills and learned some javascript along the way.

Here are some really good resources for learning, if you're interested:

http://www.w3schools.com
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/myfirstsite/basicwebdesign.html
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/campus/1924/

I was working in linux for the most part and used the Quanta Plus web development software. It was good for the most part. Any text editor in linux also doubles as an html editor as well, so there's no real need to use specialized software. However, Bluefish is also an excellent package to use.

For windows users, I did some research and am telling people to use Alleycode. It's fairly simple and has all the features you really need.

Anyways, as I was finishing up the website, it dawned on me that this would be a good format for a web album. I may develop a template for a web album, but it's easy enough to replicate.

Incidentally, in doing research for the project, I came across some neat sites:

Dynamic Drive
Hoverbox

There are lots of internet resources for web design and it's not that hard at all. It just takes a little time and patience to learn it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good start. The HTML and CSS don't validate. You really should check out the validation services at W3C. It's a good way to fine tune your coding skills.

Let them eat cake.

http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_validate.asp

Ramzi Asfour said...

Who posted this comment ?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Actually, Ramzi did.

He asked, Who posted "this" comment?
The correct answer is that he did. It says so right above the question. " ramzi said…".
See?

If he had asked "Who posted that comment" he would have been referring to the first comment, in which case it would have been that anonymous guy. Forget him, he's a jerk anyway.(The anonymous guy, not Ramzi)

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected. But you hurt my feelings. I was just trying to help.

Anonymous said...

I wish people would stop using that quote. It's been over two hundred years and I still spend most of my time trying to get this thing straightened out.

You peasants just keep throwing it right back at me.

I never said that. Besides, there was no bread. Look it up. Honestly…

Anonymous said...

Speaking of bread. Don't talk to Bob if you don't want him to steal your ideas. That was my idea for the rubber band, Bob. You owe me for that. You'd still be chasing that ball down the street if it wasn't for me.

Bob made a fortune on my idea and I haven't seen him since. Stole it right out from under me. He said we were friends but I haven't seen a penny of that money.

Don't trust him.

Anonymous said...

Let it go Lomez. I vaguely remember you saying something about a string, not a rubber band. And besides, you were drunk out of your mind. Who could make sense of anything that you were saying? I'm surprised that you can even remember your name after all that tequila.

Ramzi Asfour said...

Nice to see people commenting on my blog, but it would be nice if you made some sense...bob sacamano, lomez, and marie a.

Anonymous, I did manage to validate the site with w3 schools. Minor edits mostly but it was good learning experience, thanks.