Monday, August 13, 2007

Yummy Curry...

For some strange reason, I've had frequent hankerings for curry over the last few weeks. I finally got around to making one tonight...my first Curry.

I found this recipe on the food network's site (a great resource btw) and modified it slightly. The store near me didn't have any fenugreek seeds so I left them out. I had some green chilis in the fridge so I used 3 small ones instead of the scotch bonnet (probably a good idea anyways). I didn't have a lot of fresh thyme, the little plant I have on the balcony doesn't seem to grow very fast (I think it needs a lot more sunlight). I added a bunch of oregano instead. I also used bouillon cubes in hot water instead of the chicken stock and added potatos and a green pepper just because...

I followed the cooking instructions and let it stew for about an hour and a half. I made some basmati rice with a pinch of garam masala to go along with the curry. It was a long wait and I got pretty hungry. It was worth it though...not the best curry I've ever had, but pretty good for a first try. I'll have to keep the recipe in mind and try to find ways to make it better. It'll be a good dish to have in the winter.

I've always looked closely at the pictures in food magazines and tried to see how they were set up. I decided to take some pictures while waiting for the food to cool off a bit. With a compact digicam, it's hard to get a really short depth of field, so I used gimp to simulate it. Here's what the dish looked like:



I may make a habit of taking pictures of some of my culiary creations...see how creative I can get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramzi, it's Michele. Just going through your sight and I'm quite impressed with this curry dish! Not only does the dish sound tasty, the presentation of the plate looks yummy too. It's 7:55 am and I'm craving curry!