Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cornucopia Regatta

I went sailing at the Cornucopia Regatta at DYC over the Labour Day weekend. I got an email from SimonK who just bought a Kirby 25 for a really good deal and he needed crew to sail it at the regatta. It turned out that the boat had been sitting for a while and was in no shape for a regatta. Fortunately, Undercover wasn't in the regatta yet so he managed to convince Theo to sign up and he organized a quick crew with Derek and myself. It turned out that I had the most experience at helming a boat in races so I was the helmsman by default.

For a crew that was just thrown together on a new boat, we did fairly well. We had some awesome starts, great point and speed upwind, and had some cool downwind battles. We were in the running for a respectable 5th place, but a couple of key mistakes on the Sunday hurt us since we had a DFL finish on one race. We ended up in a tie, but got 7th place since Ruby's best race was better than ours. I've been waiting for someone to post some pictures, but so far nothing yet on the Kirby site.

It was an awesome weekend and it was great to get back in there again. I didn't get out enough this summer. I'll have to figure out something so I can get out there regularly next summer. There's another Kirby regatta in Barrie this coming weekend, but I don't think I'll be going. The Cornucopia was probably my last sail for the season.

No comments: