Tuesday, August 26, 2008

MBA: Module 4, Corporate Social Responsibility

Module 4 was just one course about Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) taught by the full-time MBA program director, Dr. Scott Carson. It was another "soft" topic course and started with a couple of days of lectures and then three days of presentations by the class teams about a variety of topics relating to CSR. My team's topic dealt with the ethics of using sex in advertising and specifically dealing with Abercrombie and Fitch (A&F). It was an interesting project. The documentary I watched about Edward Bernays came in handy...I wrote about him in an earlier post. W used an excerpt of the documentary as part of a discussion about the psychology behind using sex in advertising.

Studying A&F was interesting too. Apparently they have a history of using racy advertising to sell to teenage and college kids. You can read about their 61 year old CEO here. I'm not a brand-name person but the marketing strategy works...A&F is making a ton of money.

Another component of the course was an individual paper about a company discussing the congruence its CSR and corporate strategy and how the two match up. To be honest, I found the paper to be a really difficult one to write. My enthusiasm for the topic was very low and I felt that I was writing a lot of filler material just to meet the 6-page minimum requirement. I wrote about Westport Innovations, an interesting environmental technology company in British Columbia. They were ranked 9th in Corporate Knight's 2008 50 best corporate citizens in Canada. The paper was also due at 10pm on a Sunday night...not the best way to spend a sunny weekend.

No comments: