Sunday, May 11, 2008

MBA: Thoughts on the first week...

Well...1 week down, 51 to go.

It's been a crazy week! I have to say first that the MBA staff are really good. They know how to make the program structure run well and smoothly. They're very helpful in terms of getting the students set up and running. If you have a question about something, they're very quick to get you the answers. They've been doing this sort of thing for a while and pretty much know what the students are going through.

A lot of people, especially the international students, arrived right before the program started. There isn't enough time to get used to a new city and find out where to get the essentials like food and how to get there. The school understands this and provides lunch and dinner for the first week until people have time to settle in and figure out their personal needs and logistics. The program content itself is just like a regular 2 year MBA but condensed into 1 year. So getting off to a fast start is essential...that's pretty much what the first week was about.

Know Thyself
The program is centred around teaching the individual how to work as part of a high performance team. Most people usually know what they're like but they don't usually know how to describe themselves in a nutshell. Getting to know the people you work with also usually takes time since interacting with new colleagues usually is a slow process that starts with getting to know them at work and then, later on, outside of work. Individual personalities and different levels of introvert/extrovert tendencies affect the time it takes for any team to gel and get to the level where they're in sync and working well with each other.

In the Queen's MBA program, there isn't enough time for that process to occur naturally. There's also a risk that a team won't gel at all and that would work contrary to the goal of the program. So they've done a lot of work in getting people to know themselves and getting team members to share they individual info with each other. The idea is to accelerate the gelling process of a team.

One of the tools they use is the Hermann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI). A guy named Ned Hermann did a lot of research into how the brain works and figured out a way to show it using a survey. Basically, he divided brain tendencies in to four categories and assigned colours and letters to them. Once you've done the survey and seen the results in a diagram and data form, you get a clearer picture about who you are and what your natural tendencies and preferences are. Obviously, most people know themselves pretty well. Not many people, however, know how to communicate to other people who they are in a nutshell. This instrument provides a way. There's a lot to it and it'll be difficult to summarize it all. You can read more about it here.

For me, my dominant quadrant is yellow, followed closely by blue. My green and red quadrants about equal, but about half as dominant as the other two. My blue/yellow dominance means that people like me are suited for jobs that have a combination of creativity and quantitative work...like a design engineer. So I guess the fact that I've worked as a design engineer for my entire professional life is no surprise. It's a nice affirmation of what I think I'm about and what my preferences are.

Another tool they use is a Gallup survey that tells you what your themes are. It's difficult to explain what a theme is without showing the report. I wanted to scan the pages to show people, but I'm still adjusting to the rhythm here and haven't gotten around to setting up my scanner. Once things settle down a bit, I'll post the info. The basic idea of the Gallup survey though, is that it gives you another sense of who you are written down in a report. There are 34 themes in total and they list them in the order of most dominant to least dominant. Since every individual is different, every individual report will be different. I guess that since every person's fingerprints are unique it only makes sense that every person's brain works in a different way. My most dominant theme is Strategic while my least dominant theme is Significance. I don't have the exact definitions handy right now, but, if I recall correctly, the Strategic theme has to do with big picture thinking and problem solving while the Significance theme has to do with how I feel about what people think about me.

I can see where they're going with these kind of tools. Written reports that paint a picture of who you are make it easier for you to identify the kind of work that you really want to be doing and also helps you put together a strong resume and gives you the basis for being really strong in an interview situation.

Team Work
The team aspect of the program is intriguing. In one sense, I feel like I'm a bit of a lab rat with experimenters watching how I work and how I interact with other people. In the other sense, I'm starting to see the how of the team program at Queen's stands out from the other programs. There's a lot of socializing going on in the first week designed to get the students interacting and getting to know one another. Whatever the reasons are, you naturally gravitate toward certain types of people based on who you are and who they are. You also form quick impressions of the people around you and categorize them to make sense of the frenzied social situation. When I finally found out who the people on my team are, it really stood out to me that I hadn't talked to any of them in the socializing aspects. At that point, I pretty much saw the real value of the Queen's team structure. They deliberately set you up with people that you aren't naturally compatible with. The idea being that if you can work with that team, you can pretty much work with any team.

Apart from myself, my team includes a girl from a Greek family and a background in IT consulting, an Irani girl with an architecture background, an Indian guy with a telecom background, another Indian guy with a telecom background, and an English guy with a political science background.

They put us through some exercises designed to get us to know one another. One interesting team building exercise was called "bombardment". There's some info about it here. Basically, it forces you to see the positive aspects of the people that you'll be working with and then tell them about it bombarding them with positive feedback. I found it to be a strange and weird thing to go, but it does force you to break up your initial impression of them and how you categorized them. I found the body language of the exercise particularly interesting. It'll take too long to elaborate any further here, but I might write a more detailed post about it some time down the road.

As a group, our brain dominance is very yellow and the Strategic them is one of our top five themes. To me, that means that we have to potential to be really creative and come up with really good solutions to problems. If we can find a way to work with each other really well and manage our natural personality conflicts, we could be a really good team.

There are four stages that any team goes through: Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing. You can read about the stages here, but if we can manage to get to the Performing stage quickly, we'll be really good.

Each team also gets a team facilitator/coach. Someone to help us get over some of our problems and get us working together. Our facilitator has a really strong human resources background and has a lot of info that can help us out.

Achieving Balance
This is something that I naturally try to achieve in my life, but, thankfully and probably for the best, not everyone is like me. So the Queen's program tries to illustrate that to people with the Fit-to-Lead implementation. A healthy body and a healthy mind will allow people to perform at their best. Since the brain is a physical organ in your body that affects how you think, having a healthy and active lifestyle combined with good nutritional habits will lead to a healthy state of mind. So they encourage physical activity and devoted the latter half of the first week to getting people out an active. They organized a trip to a driving range and mini-putt place to get people active. There was a volleyball court there as well so people go do what they preferred. I stuck to the driving range...I went through 3 buckets of balls cranking them with a driver. Lots of fun for free!...everything was paid for by the school. I might bring my clubs back the next time I visit my parents...there are a number of golfers in the class.

There's also another silly aspect of the fit-to-lead program. Every now and then, some of the student employees of the program will come in with a boombox and get everybody dancing for 10-15 minutes. People who've worked in a large corporate atmosphere will be familiar with this. I hate being forced to dance so naturally I'm not really big on this. I know why they do it...it lightens up the mood in the class room and gives everyone a fun diversion. I dance when I feel like it, but forcing me to do it has the opposite effect of what was intended. Whatever...I'll go with it and who knows, I might come to enjoy it.

Continuity
A group from the previous class came for a visit yesterday and threw us a party. They made us wear silly things and got us running around Kingston on a scavenger hunt. People who've gone through engineering schools in Canada will be familiar with this...it's just a fun thing to do and good excuse to have a few drinks.

Those guys were still fresh out of the program...they only just graduated a week before our class started. Things started out in a very civilized fashion, each team sat in their team rooms while a graduate from that particular room came in and talked to us about the previous team. Apparently, my team's room is one of the better ones and last year's team was one of the best...a good omen. The graduates also gave us some pretty good pointers and assured us that everything will be ok...Queen's wants us to succeed and they'll do everything to try to help us out.


This post is starting to get a little lengthy so I'll wrap it up here. The main thing that I got out of this first week is that if you approach this program in the same way you start a new job, things will work out well. I think the fact that you're paying a significant financial price for this education and that you're in a class room environment throws you off for a loop. In a way, you are starting a new job. This program is a very intense and long training session for the work that you'll be doing afterwards.

It's going to be a gruelling year, but I think it'll also be really fun and I'll end up with a really great sense of satisfaction by the end of it.

No comments: