Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Delhi, the 3rd group, and Shimla

We took an overnight train back to Delhi from Ajmer, which is about an hour's drive from Pushkar. I think I've spent too much time on Indian trains already...this experience wasn't anything more exciting. I did keep a few people up with my snoring (I caught a cold and was all stuffed up)...that made me chuckle in the morning.

I hung about Delhi for a day and just rested for most of the day. My roommate Andy and I tried to make up for our beer deprivation in Pushkar so we had a couple. At dinner, the group parted and said gave farewells. I made some good friend in those 2 weeks...I hope to keep in touch with them down the road. David and Karie convinced me to alter my travel plans so that I'd stay in Hong Kong for a few days around Chinese new year. I'll do that on my way back to Canada.

The next day, I met up with Lara, an aussie whom I met on the first tour. We had lunch, then and a nice chat. Then we parted ways and I went back and met up with the third group for dinner.

Yesterday morning...back on the train ! This time a full day's journey north to Shimla in the mountains.

Pravin on the toy train:



Shimla during the day:



Shimla during the night:



I like Shimla a lot. It's really mountainous, but quiet and cool. A big change from the desert of Rajasthan and the noise and hustle of Delhi. The place is very scenic...very nice. Wish I could stay longer, but we're due to depart tomorrow morning.

Beware of the monkeys though...the Rhesus Macaques here are very agressive. They will jump on you and steal your glasses because they know that they'll get food in return for them. If you are walking along eating something, they will try to steal it from you and scare you into throwing your food away and running. You can rent a monkey stick for rupees to hit on the ground and threaten them to turn away. Oh...they also don't like having their pictures taken.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, it sounds like the trip so far has been a lot of highs and lows. All experiences none the less. The people you are with must be very easy going and open minded. You missed a wild snow storm here. We actually had a state of emergency! Your pictures look great, cant wait to have a beer and look at them all.

Ryan Billing

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude,
Haven't been following the blog for a little while...wow, amazing pics. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the trip has been pretty fantastic. We miss you.
Take care...keep bloggin'.
Smiles, Carmzilla

Anonymous said...

So I assume you are now without food, or eyewear... I see a half blind starving Ramzi fumbling around with a Monkey stick yelling profanities at the primates...

Good Times !
F

Anonymous said...

good one F almost pissed myself laughing trying to imagine that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramzi, just got back from my two weeks in England, Pakistan and Oman, so I'm just catching up on the blog. Looks like you are having the time of your life! When you get back we'll be able to commiserate about Indian/Pakistani trains. We should have met up in Kashmir!!!!

Take care,
Waseem

Unknown said...

Shimla is wonderful place that you can visit from Cochin during your free time. This place is giving you an exciting time spend with the nature and environment.