Thursday, October 19, 2006

Jaipur

I heard Jaipur was a really cool place, but I didn't really get that. It had some neat places...the city palace and the wind palace. The coolest by far was the Jantar Mantar observatory. Big massive sundials ! I was amazed at how they could carve such straight lines in marble...you'd have to see it to really get it, but I thought it was incredible. The bazaar was interesting too...bought some basic items like toothpaste and underwear (very important...should have packed more to start with). Overall though, I thought it was very similar to other Indian cities.

I did decide to get a haircut though...was starting to look a little shaggy. I asked the barber if he had clippers and he said "yes ! Yes ! Sit down."
I said: "how much ?"
He said: "30 rupees"
I said: "ok" and sat down.
He toweled my head off because I was pretty sweaty, wrapped an apron around me, reached into a box and pulled out the hand shear clippers. I looked at them and said to myself:" this is probably a bad idea, but what the hell, I'll give it a shot".
It was a bad idea...he started getting hand cramps and my head looked pretty patchy. I told him it looked like crap and that I heard that Jaipur barbers were really good, but this was not. He shook his head and said that his arm hurt. I said: "Crap...shave it then." So I left Jaipur as a poor imitation of Ghandi and with a funny story to tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What no pictures of the HEAD ??

Frank