Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Back in Delhi again...

We had our last meal as group at breakfast. It turned out to be Kathy's birthday also, so we signed a card and gave her a box of Indian sweets. Pravin, poor guy, had to rush because he had to finish the paper work for our group and then lead another tour on the same day.

I didn't do much that day, just relaxed and had a beer or two. I ran into Andy, my roommate on the previous tour, at the hotel and we went out for dinner and a couple of drinks. We said goodbye to some people.

The next day was more of the same...the remainder of us had breakfast together and said goodbyes to Anthea and Reena. I saw Dave and Theresa later that evening.

The neighbourhood around the hotel is usually buzzing at night with the market area, but the last two nights it's been eerily quiet. There's some political unrest in the city with the authorities trying to close down shops and vendors that have sprung up in areas where they shouldn't have be. My understanding of the problem is that some extremely poor and incompetent municipal city planning is to blame. There hasn't been an organized effort to manage the city and now some parts of it are out of control in terms of shops and residences.

Today I managed to get up early in the morning and went to see more of Delhi. I went to the India Gate...a memorial for Indian soldiers. I also went to see the Lotus Temple...a centre for the Baha'i faith.



No comments: