Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dumaguete

I took a ferry back to Dumaguete on Saturday. A nice short 1hr ride, but managed to meet a Canadian from Alberta named Kelly. His wife is from Cebu and they were travelling with their 18 month old son and travelling to different islands. Nice guy...has his own business drilling and blasting for oil and gas exploration.

I stayed at the Pura Vida Dive & Beach Resort in Dauin just outside the city of Dumaguete. Nice place, but the beach was dark and coars sand. I hung about the afternoon on the day I got there...just to relax some more and have a couple drinks. I rented another moped the next day and rode around the city. I didn't take many pictures of the place...a little hard to do while riding around. It's a university town so there's a lot of neat little places around. The university is called Silliman University...I wondered what the school mascot was, but never got around to asking.

Feel free to be creative and suggest some names by posting in the comments...I think the "Silliman University Silly Man" is an obvious one...you can use your photoshop skills to come up with a picture of what the mascot would look like. Email them to me and I'll post them on the site...

I didn't take many pictures around Dumaguete. I never really got off the moped and walked around...except to get some sunscreen and a bite to eat. The third day there, I decided to go do some snorkeling off of Apo island. It's a tiny place but with some nice coral reefs around it. I spent about 3 hours in the water.

Note:
Make sure you put sunscreen on the back of your knees when going snorkeling. I never really thought about it before...how often do you get sunburnt on the back of your knees ? Anyways, I was hurting yesterday, but it feels ok now. I'll just try and stay out of the sun for long time for the next couple of days.

Here's a picture from the ride back to Dumaguete from Apo:



And a picture of lizard hiding in one of the lights at the resort:



Back in Cebu for now...thinking about heading to Puerto Galera next.

2 comments:

Corey said...

Nice photos...I had several run-ins with lizards as well, though I can honestly say they minded their own business. Unfortunately, I couldn't extend the same courtesy to them since I had never seen lizards walking across walls of a hotel before.

Are you from the Philippines? Southeast Asia in general would appear to provide a cornucopia of cultures and sights all within a 4-hour plane trip.

Ramzi Asfour said...

No I'm canadian, but my mother is from the Philippines.

I checked out your blogs as well...good stuff.