Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Siquijor

I was going to be by myself for a few days. My cousins had some travelling/business to attend to. So I decided to go on a mini-trip at my uncle Geoff's recommendation.

Siquijor (pronounced like a woman you should avoid in Thailand...sicky-hoor) is a small island of the shores of the main island of Negros. The ferry system is pretty neat. I took a 4-hour ferry ride to Dumaguete and then another 1hr ride to Siquijor. I started really early in the morning...6:20am. Got a nice shot from the ferry deck:



The island itself is extremely laid back. It's famous for some voodoo magic and weird medicine, but I didn't really see any of that. Not much goes on there...pretty quiet. There is no night life to speak of. Everyone shuts down for the night at around 8pm. I rented a moped and rode around the island for a day. It's only around 70km to ride around the whole island. The Cambughayan falls are small, but swimming there was very refreshing.



They also have a bunch of old churches around. You can also go spelunking in a bunch of different caves. I heard it was really neat to go, but I decided against going...was feeling pretty lazy.

The beaches are nice...white sand that's easy to walk along. The slope of the beach was really shallow, so a lot of the beach gets exposed when the tide goes out.



The tiny blue crabs there are also neat to watch. They bury themselves really fast in the sand one you walk by. If you stay still long enough they start coming back out and look at you with their little beady eyes.




I stayed their for a couple of nights at the Kiwi Dive Resort. I met a nice older french couple when I got there, but they were on their way out so I was there by myself for the first night. Met some young brits the second night: Marie, Frazier, and Andy. Nice people...they were there to learn how to dive.

No comments: