Monday, April 16, 2007

Around Fort Erie

I had a few developed B&W rolls lying around of pictures of around Fort Erie. I decided to scan some of them in and try touching them up through GIMP.

I basically played with the levels and tried to increase/decrease contrasting. I also tried a few things with masking techniques. Here are a few...

One of the statues at the entrance of the actual fort:


The Peace Bridge at night:


NCC...A few of my friends here went to high school there. We used to play basketball their gym:


This place is now closed...but the sign is still there:


Mather Arch...


Monochrome photography is a challenge. Colour helps a lot in terms of composing a picture, but when you're shooting black and white colour isn't much of a factor. You have to see the scene in terms of shades, contrast, and intensity. I have two bulk rolls of Kodak Tri-X to go through. That's plenty of film and I should improve over the long run. A quality film scanner is at the top of my shopping list though...trying to compensate for poor scans using photoshop techniques is a pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the peace bridge and the Mather Arc pictures... very nice !

- Fadi