Sunday, December 17, 2006

Malapascua and diving...

Aimee, Jon, and I went to Malapascua on Thursday and came back yesterday afternoon. It's a small island north of Cebu island that's famous for beaches and diving. It took us about two hours to get to the ferry (forgot the actual visayan term for the boat)and about a 45 minute ride to get to the island. We stayed at a small inland resort called Kuan Ba or The Wobbly Boot. Uncle Geoff is part owner of the place.

It was a good chance for me to get some diving experience. I managed to get the Open Water certification in two and a half days. It was a lot of work and not much time to really relax. When I wasn't in the water, I was busy reading and testing for the knowledge base that you need. I got certified by Thresher Shark Divers under the instruction of Ravi Jassal...great guy and a pretty good instructor. I don't have the certification to dive deep enough to get to see the thresher sharks or some of the manta rays that they have around there. I imagine that I'll head up there again to get the Advanced Open Water certification to do those dives. I'll have lots of time again after the new year to head up there for a few days.

I didn't take many pictures of the place because I was fairly busy. Aimee took some so I'll have to get them off of her before I post some pictures. We're heading up to Manila tomorrow morning and I still have to pack so no time to post any pictures. I'll get around to it after we get back.

Update: Here are some pics

Aimee chatting up a german dude on the boat ride over:




A view of the island boats:




Gearing up and looking like divers:



No comments: